November 11th is Remembrance Day, a day set
aside to consider the price paid by so many so that we could be free. And by “price”, I mean “the ultimate price.”
To be honest, there are no veterans in my family. Neither
of my grandfathers served and my uncles were all born during or after World War
II. I haven’t had close friends heading
off to Afghanistan or Iraq or anywhere else over the last few years. So it’s not as personal for me as it is for
some.
But what I do have are stories, history lessons, books
and movies. And it’s through these
avenues that I learned to appreciate what it really means for people to go to
war, for soldiers to fight for our freedom. And I am in awe at how willing
people were to give up everything – even, at times, their own lives – for a
cause. No one wanted to be left behind, to the point where some young boys
would even lie about their age, just so that they could get a chance to get in
on the action.
That’s pretty incredible if you ask me.
I will be forever grateful for what so many have done to
keep our great country “glorious and free.”
It takes someone living under a rock to not realize that we are
definitely blessed here. Most days my biggest
problems consist of attempting to pack a lunch while still bleary-eyed from the
7 or so hours I had in a bed or trying to figure out how to keep warm at the
office. I have never had to spend any time in a bomb shelter. I have never dug
through rubble looking for food or family members. I have never had to say
good-bye to a loved one headed off to war, not knowing if I’d ever see them again.
And it’s because of people who have gone before me and
fought the fight for me. For us.
Not a lot of countries have the same freedoms we enjoy
and take for granted.
But at the same time there’s something in me that balks
at the thought of anyone being killed in a war.
Because, as evil as they may seem, they happen to be a person – a human
being – who just happens to be on a different side than their killer – who, by
the way, is also a person, a human being.
It wasn’t supposed to be like this. And yet this is where
we find ourselves.
See, the day after the Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers
shot and killed Michael Zehaf-Bibeau in
the halls of Parliament in Ottawa a few weeks ago, the government gave
Vickers a standing ovation for his actions.
And while part of me was very relieved that the threat had been
eliminated, that threat was still a person with a name.
Vickers still killed a man. And while I’m sure he’d do it all again in a
heartbeat to save others, that has to be weighing on him, even a little bit.
That’s what gets me about the lack of peace on earth in
the world: the tension we find ourselves in, between being grateful for our
freedom, but knowing that blood had to flow to get that freedom.
It isn’t a fun place to be. But somehow I think it's a good place to be.

No comments:
Post a Comment