It’s the day after Remembrance Day, so I
don’t think anyone will fault me if I confess that I spent a good chunk of the morning
listening to Christmas songs.
I don’t think it will become a habit, for
the simple fact that I don’t want to overdo it just yet and get sick of Christmas
songs long before the actual day.
And believe me, it can happen. I spend a
good 5-6 hours every day listening to music.
After all, Christmas is a special time; if
we extend it too far, some of that specialness just wears away …
Anyway, I was inspired by some of my
Christmas listenings and I was seriously thinking that I wanted to write about
all the Christmas songs that shouldn’t be played.
And I had good reasons for including them
on my list. Too sappy. Too slutty. Too sad.
And if you think a Christmas song can’t be
slutty, you haven’t heard “Santa Baby.” Or else you just haven’t listened to it
closely enough.
Next time you hear it, just remember I told you so. I won't actually say it, but remember: I did tell you.
Christmas is supposed to be about happy
things. The birth of Jesus. Beautiful decorations. Picture perfect moments. Family
time. Singing. Twinkly lights. Snow. Good
food. Presents. I don’t want songs that kill that buzz.
However, I was very quickly reminded that
just because it’s Christmas doesn’t automatically mean that it’s a happy time
for people. Or that they – like me –
want to avoid sappy songs like the plague.
Point well taken.
So instead, I’ll share some of my favourite
songs.
At the top of the list is a French carol
that many of you out there will have never heard of. It’s called “Petit PapaNoel” (Little Father Christmas). It’s a song from a child’s point of view,
asking Father Christmas to bundle up warmly when he comes down from the sky
with thousands of toys. It’s sweet. And
cute. And French.
Then there’s “Let It Snow.” The image of cuddling up near a fireplace
while watching the snow fall is a beautiful image to me. But I don’t have a
fireplace. However, I do have lots of blankets and a large window. And a big
mug that I can fill with something piping hot.
Mmm… I’m liking this image already.
Third, we have Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas.” I spent two Christmases in
Thailand, and, as great as it was, snow was kind of missing. Though come to
think of it, had snow made an appearance … I think I would have been the only
happy – albeit rather confused – person.
Next, I always found "Carol of the Bells" to be a beautiful piece. Pentatonix does
a fantastic, a capella version, and the Transiberian Orchestra does a fun
version on electric guitar.
And lastly, I have to mention an entire
album I have that I find absolutely delightful.
It’s Ella Fitzgerald’s “Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas”. I love jazz, I love Ella, so it’s
perfect. What would be even more perfect
would be an album full of Christmas duets with Ella and … Louis Armstrong.
Honourable mentions go out to “Mary Did YouKnow?”, “O Holy Night” , “Up On TheHousetop” and “Jolly Old St. Nicholas”.
So there you have it. Now tell me. What’s on your Christmas listening list?
No comments:
Post a Comment