I am a bookworm.
I didn’t get to sleep until after 1 last night, and I can
only blame the book I was reading.
Which I’d read before. Many, many times.
A good book is like an old friend. It’s comfortable. It
talks to me. And, though it uses the
same words all the time, I always seem to catch something new the second – or fith
– time through it. There’s nothing I
love more than being under the covers with my nose in a book.
And I’ve read some good ones in my day. So I figured that today I would share a few
of my favourites with you.
First, we have To Kill
a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It’s
the story of a white lawyer – Atticus Finch – who is assigned a black client – Tom Robinson. Tom is accused of raping a white woman. What
makes this story remarkable is that it is set in the Deep South in the 1930s,
where racism still ran rampant, and is told from the perspective of Atticus’
six-year-old daughter, Scout. Like all
kids her age, she innocently tells it like it is, without much commentary or
opinions; she describes events candidly and only sometimes questions what she
doesn’t understand.
It really makes a person think.
Next is The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak. Set in Nazi Germany during WWII, It’s the story of a young
girl named Liesel who is given up by her mother and fostered by the
Hubermanns. It recounts the tales of her
relationships with those around her, but especially with Max Vandenburg, a Jew
the Hubermanns are hiding in their basement.
What makes this story unique is the fact that it is narrated by the Angel
of Death. As he comes and takes the
lives of those around her, he catches glimpses of her and is fascinated by her.
And if you’re wondering where the book’s title came from,
Liesel is obsessed with books – even though, at first, she can’t read – and steals
them from various places.
The style is pretty unique, too. I like to call it poetic prose. I’ve never read anything quite like it
before.
Moving on, we come to The
Help by Kathryn Stockett. Set in Mississippi in the 1960s, it chronicles
the stories of three black maids and the white women they work for, as well as
the inequalities that exist between them.
Little do any of them know that their worlds are about to be rocked when
Eugenia Phelan – also called Skeeter –takes a real interest in the lives of
these maids and is determined to write a book about them. It’s a story about standing up for your rights
and reaching for your goals.
And lastly, we have Gone
With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell.
Set mostly on a plantation in Georgia during and just after the American
Civil War, it’s the story of Scarlett O’Hara, a headstrong woman who fiercely
fights to protect what is hers – namely Tara, her father’s plantation – and to
get what she wants. She is so determined to achieve her goals that she doesn’t
care who she has to marry, stomp on, or yell at to do so. And while that doesn’t sound like a very enticing
description (admittedly, Scarlett is rather witch-like and not my favourite
character in the world), Margaret Mitchell does indeed paint a very vivid picture
of the times that I find to be gripping. And maybe there’s a small part of me that
thinks that, during my next read-through, Scarlett will smarten up and start
looking past her own nose.
Of course, that never happens.
And there you have it. Upon reflection, what I find
interesting are the similarities between all these books. They deal with human struggles between people
of different classes and races. And they
are all, in a sense, historical fiction, meaning that, though the characters
are not real, the things they experience are. They breathe life – and death – into the facts
found in our history books.
And all of them speak, wholly or in part, of facing
obstacles and overcoming them. Maybe not
in the way one would expect, but still.
It speaks to the strength humanity possesses to stare in the face of
evil and tell it to get lost.
It's inspiring.
And now if you'll excuse me, A whole world contained in about 300 pages awaits!

No comments:
Post a Comment