I have some really scary books in my house. At least, they are scary in the eyes of many non-bibliophiles
for one simple reason: the books are
massive.
(Bibliophile (noun): A person who loves or collects books).
One such massive book I have is actually a compilation of
the entire Chronicles of Narnia series, which I recently picked up and re-read
for the third or fourth time.
It didn’t take me very long; though the book itself is
massive, the print is large and the stories are really easy to read. What I find about reading through series quickly is that you get an overall sense of the cohesion, of the characters and
their development, and you don’t really have the chance to forget
about some of the lesser characters or events that are referred to and/or play
an important role later on.
Strangely enough, I discovered this when, for one of my
courses, I had to read most of the Old Testament in about six weeks.
Combine the expression “Yiiiiikes!” “Oy vey…” and “Aiya!”
and you might come close to what that felt like.
And yes. I did complete the assignments.
Anyway, here’s what became clearly evident: the Israelites
were either dense, memory-impaired, or both. And yet God was gracious
throughout and didn’t give up on them.
Inevitably, here’s what would happen: “O God, you’re amazing….
Oh, hey look! A distraction! Hang on a sec, what’s happening to us? We’re screwed! Thanks a lot, God! …. Uh,
Lord? We messed up. Help?” At this
point, God would miraculously intervene, which started the whole cycle all over
again.
I would shake my head every time I encountered the cycle
anew, awed at the stupidity and foolishness of God’s people …
Until God said, “Hang on a sec … you DO realize you do the
same, right?”
Woops.
Anyway, back to Narnia.
What struck me was the juxtaposition of the words “terrible beauty” to
describe Aslan. Lions in and of
themselves are terrifying, what with their teeth, their claws and their roar.
There are reasons why the lion is often thought of as the king of the animals.
I also don’t believe there is any other creature out there willing to fight
them for the title.
They instill fear in humans, too. No one dares go near them
unless there exists some sort of impenetrable barrier between humans and these
creatures.
And yet they are beautiful creatures. Strong and majestic.
And, I might add, surprisingly lazy during the day…
Aslan was all of that and more. He was the size of an elephant, they often
said. Out of his mouth came both
growling and singing. His paws were
usually gentle, but he could pull his claws out as needed. And, in The
Last Battle, when all created things met him at the entrance into the real
Narnia, they were either overjoyed to see him, or else they were terrified.
C.S. Lewis could not have chosen a better metaphor for God. And he could not have done a better job of
detailing the truth of the apparent walking contradiction that is God. He is
terrible (as seen in the Old Testament), and yet He is beautiful (as seen in
the New Testament).
And that's how we need to view Him.

No comments:
Post a Comment