Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Reading in bed

Nuff said
I don’t understand people who fall asleep reading a book.

It has never happened to me. Never, never ever.  This is usually because the book I happen to be reading at night is way too stimulating. It’s like it reaches into my body, finds where my emotions are located, grabs them and holds on for dear life.

And I just can’t put it down.  My eyes might be droopy, I might be seeing nothing but haze, but those words just come alive for me and all of a sudden, I’m wide awake again.

It’s especially difficult when the book I am reading has a cliffhanger. At the end of Every. Single. Chapter. And somehow I just need to know what happens next before moving on.  And the cycle repeats itself over and over and over again. So it’s really hard to find a natural stopping point.

And next thing I know, it’s 3 in the morning.

Story of my life.
It’s a conspiracy, I tell you. It has to be. That being said, however, I’m not entirely sure what the authors are trying to do; I mean, they win when someone buys the book, so my staying up till all hours to finish it off really has no bearing on them at all. 

So really, who would it benefit? Certainly not me when I’m dragging my heels the next day at work. Or my boss, for that matter.

Maybe there’s someone out there with a video camera on me and enjoying all the missteps and mishaps of the “bookover” the next morning. Signs and symptoms include brain fogs, an inability to speak coherently, concentration issues and an inability to keep my eyes open without the aid of toothpicks. 
 
If only...
I suppose someone out there could find that amusing, even though I don’t.  But honestly, it’s really my own fault for not exercising self-discipline.  It’s okay to wait until tomorrow to find out that Edwin is really Edwina or that Samuel murdered his mother or that Zoe sprouted wings during her tumble over the massive cliff and didn’t meet a tragic and painful end on the rocks below.

No, those are not actual plot points, in case you were wondering. I did not spoil any books for you.  Though if I choose to write something in the future and include those names in it, you’d better quickly forget what you just read…

You have been warned well in advance.

Anyway, as I said before, I have never fallen asleep while reading a book. It goes without saying, then, that I’ve never drooled on a book. I’ve never woken up numb or in pain because of a book digging into a part of my body.  I’ve never inadvertently bent, ripped, or crumpled pages.
I know it doesn't really count ...


And it also goes without saying that I’ve spent a lot of time reading while in bed, cuddled under blankets, propped up by many pillows, with only the glow of the night table to illuminate the words on the page. 


Mmm…. I’m warm and comfy just thinking about it.

I really don't know what I'd do
without a good book to read ...

No comments:

Post a Comment