So I was once again stuck on a topic. In other words, I didn’t
know what to write about. And by saying
it twice, I lower the number of words I still need to use up.
I’m smart that way.
So I started thinking
about what makes a good blog topic.
After all, once this is posted, I will have written at least 500 words
every day for 23 days and I’ve managed to come up with a different topic every
single time.
Minor miracle. I’m tired just thinking about it.
During this time, I’ve been inspired by things that have
been going on around me. News stories. Conversations with people. Experiences I’ve
had. Things I’m thinking about. And I’ve
tried hard to come up with something different than what’s already being said
on the news.
Or else I just try to be funny.
But at the same time, there’s a filtre.
Pardon me for a moment while I throw a hissy fit because
autocorrect and the spellchecker don’t like the way I spelled “filtre”. There,
it did it again!
Anyway, filtre. (grrrr). I don’t write about everything that
comes to my mind, or everything that I experience. There’s a place to be vulnerable, but there’s
also a place to be guarded. For
example, I don’t talk about my current
job. It could very well happen that my
bosses come across the blog and misinterpret something I write. The internet is forever, and the last thing I
want to do is get myself into trouble.
I also stay away from blabbing frustrations I have with
people. When I let my emotions rule, I can cause a lot of damage.
Let’s say I get into an argument
about seeded vs seedless watermelons.
Wait. Is it even possible to get seeded watermelons anymore?
Whatever. Seeded vs.
seedless watermelons. Say the argument gets really intense, and I’m so upset
about it that I go home and blog about it right away, stating my case.
Regardless of whether or not my opponent reads that post, it
could be seen as though I’m shaming them and their opinions in a very public
way.
I know what you’re thinking. “Watermelons seeds, Melanie?
Really? Who’s going to get upset over watermelon seeds?” Well … I haven’t met
anyone yet who would do that. But what
if it was a different topic? What if a
guy broke up with me or mistreated me and I went home and blogged about that? What if I’m upset with the way a friend has
treated me? What if I’m frustrated with a colleague or a situation at work?
I wouldn’t even blog about these in an anonymous
fashion. If there is a chance a person
will recognize themselves in something I write - and it could be understood to be me blasting them for what they think or what they did - I don’t write about it.
Another thing I do is make sure I don’t get too
controversial. I have very strong opinions about all kinds of things, and I
have been known to push the envelope and say things that others may not say.
But not all of my opinions and ideas belong online. So I have to ask myself if
what I’m writing could be misconstrued or misunderstood. And
I also question whether or not I will offend anyone.
And lastly, I ask myself if I know what I’m talking about. It
is really remarkable how many times the answer is “no”. If I'm not willing/able to put in the time to research and write something intelligent, forget it.
No comments:
Post a Comment