Confession: I just
brushed my teeth.
Normal, you think?
But wait. There’s more!
I brushed my teeth to keep me from eating my favourite
snack, which just happens to be sitting next to the computer as I type this. I
am about 99.9% less likely to eat the Snyders of Hanover pretzel bits, simply
because I have a very strong dislike for any flavour combined with toothpaste.
Still think that’s normal? There’s still more!
I brushed my teeth to keep me from eating my favourite snack
even though I’m totally not hungry. In
fact, I’m rather full at the moment. Too full, even.
I have a bit of a problem.
I really like food.
In fact, if you want me to like you, or if you want me to do something
for you, all you really need to do is promise me food and I am like putty in
your hands. Unless, that is, someone
else has beaten you to the punch… then, I’m sorry, you’re out of luck.
Ooo… punch… with fruit in it!
I think what I love are the flavours, not so much the full
feeling in my tummy. This is a problem,
because truth is, if I keep wanting to taste something, I need to keep putting
it in my mouth. If I keep putting food
in my mouth, it eventually ends up in my stomach. And if food keeps ending up
in my mouth, eventually I end up feeling full.
Too full. Much too full.
And that’s not a fun feeling.
But sometimes it’s like my eyes are bigger than my stomach.
Or I anticipate how good something will taste.
Or else the part of my brain that controls my taste buds manages to
bypass the smarter part of my brain that tells me that I’m full and sends a
message to my arm to grab whatever is in front of me and bring it up to my
mouth. Over and over and over again.
Or I can just call it what it is: a lack of self-control.
Here’s where it gets worse: in our society, we generally do
not put out healthy finger foods. Chips,
dips and anything with chocolate in it rule the day. Because that’s what everyone wants.
It just tastes better.
But hang on. This overeating thing is not solely my fault. Sure, I’m the one who shovels it in all the
time – I learned how to feed myself years ago, in case anyone was wondering –
but restaurants give huuuuuge portion sizes. I’ve paid for it – sometimes too
much – so I feel I have to eat it – even
when I don’t like it.
Then there’s the issue of waste. Many of us have heard the
phrase “There are starving children in Africa!” Because of this, we simply cannot chuck what we cannot eat. So riddle me this: how
does overstuffing myself help those children?
In reality it doesn’t. And until
someone figures out how to send them the food I can’t eat before it goes bad,
telling me about kids on another continent who don’t have enough to eat is
silly and irrelevant.
Lastly, there’s the issue of health. Starvation obviously has some serious
consequences. But so does overeating. Our
bodies know how much food we need and are very good at communicating that.
And I don’t know about you, but I’d rather listen to my body
tell me it’s had enough for the time being rather than listen to a doctor later
in life tell me that there’s something wrong.
So methinks I have some work to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment