Tuesday, June 26, 2012

unconventional international travelling

So I was going bug-eyed just now trying to write out Chinese characters.  

Does the fact that I'm learning characters make me cool or nerdy?  Never mind, that's probably a discussion for another post ...
 
Anyway, I needed a break, so I decided to see what would happen if I Google-mapped out the route I will be flying on Sunday, namely SHE--> YVR.  

On a side note, you know you've flown a LOT when you've memorized airport codes...  *le sigh*

For your information, my route home this time involves me flying directly from my city in north-east China to Vancouver, BC, in 10 hours.  And then of course there's an (almost) cross-country flight from Vancouver to Toronto. It's an airline no one on my team is familiar with (Sichuan), and it's a new route, so I'm hoping for an empty plane with non-spicy food (Sichuan province is known for its spices ... I could be in trouble ...) and comfy seats. Oh yeah, working TVs would be nice too. And so would an upgrade to first class ... but I digress.

Incidentally, a friend of mine starred in Sichuan Airlines' recent promotions for this new route.  I asked her if she could help me get a discount.  No dice.... 

Dang.

Anyway, back to Google-mapping. (yes, that's a verb because I say so!)

The program has me going through Japan. And jet-skiing the almost 800 KM expanse of the ocean that separates China and Japan. Um ... I may not know much about jet-skis, but something tells me they'd need a gas tank near to the size of an aircraft carrier to pull that off ...

But here's the kicker: Google Maps tells me to kayak across the Pacific Ocean for 6,243 KM, after which I will hit ... wait for it ... Honolulu. I will go right past Pearl Harbour!  Anyone else find it interesting (ironic?) that after I go through Japan, the next land mass I hit is Hawaii?

Then it's right back into the kayak for another 4,436 KM.  

That's over 10, 000 KM  (6, 213 miles, for you metrically challenged folk) of kayaking. My arms are getting tired just thinking about it!

I don't know about you, but I'm perfectly happy to board a plane and let someone else do all the work to get me over the ocean.  

And in far less time, too.

Toronto in 5...

No comments:

Post a Comment