Last time around, I posted the advantages of being single from the singles’ point of view. I think to get a full perspective on the issue, we need to turn to some married people. So to start things off, I’m going to include some thoughts from a married friend of mine. I think her perspective is important for two reasons: 1) she was over 30 when she got married, so she dealt with her singleness for a (relatively) long time, and 2) she's what I'll call a ruminator, not in the "cud-chewing cow" sort of way, but in the thoughtful, meditative, "let me think about this and get back to you" way.
Notice how she echoes many of the things my single friends wrote about in my last post. On the one hand, this is mere coincidence, as she did not get a preview of what I was going to post. But on the other hand, I think my friend's point of view really commends what those who contributed appreciate about being single, and serves as a good reminder that singleness is a valuable time in our lives that should be embraced rather than simply tolerated.
Here's what she had to say...
Here's what she had to say...
Singleness gave me the space and time to learn more about how God has designed me to serve -- by having time I tried many different types of serving, was able to attend retreats and workshops and learn more about How God has designed me to use my gifts for Him.
Singleness gave me the opportunity to develop deep meaningful girl friendships, I had the time to invest in them, learn how to be a better friend by asking for feedback and receiving pearls of wisdom from women in all different seasons of life.
Singleness gave me a commitment to journal and to learn to more fully express my emotions, as I experienced many times when I was alone, it was through reading, journaling, prayer and sitting with my emotions that helped me learn more about them and healthy ways to express them.
Singleness gave me a unique opportunity to spend quality time with my parents and lots of 1:1 time with my nieces and nephews which I cherished
Singleness also gave me the time to try new and wacky things like ballet dancing!
Singleness also gave me a chance to learn about self care, which I make a distinction between selfish and self-care. Self-care, like good sleep, reading, eating well it just gave me more time to learn and focus on healthy life habits away from my family of origin.
I truly and thankful I had many years to wrestle with my singleness although some times were tough, lonely, discouraging, this side of it I see so many reasons why I needed that time.
Coming up: more married friends of mine will comment on the advantages and disadvantages of being single. Being the compiler/editor/whatever, I’ve been privileged to get a sneak peek at what they have to say, and I am a little excited. And by a little, I mean a lot.
Stay tuned ….
Stay tuned ….
No comments:
Post a Comment