About 2 weeks ago, I did something pretty crazy.
I allowed people I'd never met to attack my eyeballs with a small, guillotine-like device and lasers.
And the end result was not quite as ugly as one might imagine when one reads the above description; I now have at least 20/20 vision in both eyes.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I had Lasik. You would have, too, if the price was around 1/6th of what it would have been in Canada for the Exact. Same. Procedure. Yes, the equipment is the same, yes, they keep it clean, yes the doctors are well-trained ... any other questions?
I was terrified all week long leading up to it. TerriFIED. And when it was all over, I was so relaxed that later that day a friend thought I was on drugs...
I may have had a couple tablets of Ibuprofen earlier that day, but that's it.
Let me tell you, after 19 years of wearing glasses, this is quite a lovely change, though it is taking some getting used to. You know how amputees have phantom pains in their missing limbs? I'm convinced that I see phantom lenses around my eyes. And if you see me rubbing the bridge of my nose, it's because I'm trying to push the aforementioned phantom glasses back up...
But that's not the point of this post. I thought I'd take a few minutes and share with you some of the reactions I've gotten since then....
"How many fingers am I holding up?"
You'd be surprised at how popular this response is...
"Now that you can see me, don't look at me! I'm ugly!"
She's really not.
"Who's the movie star sitting next to me?"
My eyes are still a little sensitive, so I find myself wearing sunglasses quite often. And while on that topic ...
Me [to all of my classes]: I'm not wearing sunglasses inside because I'm cool - because you already know that I am - but because I had an eye procedure done. My eyes are still a little sensitive.
Students: Ahhhhh....
And so began the barrage of questions on the procedure.
And yet again on the topic of sunglasses ...
Co-worker: I wear my sunglasses at night ...
Yep. Pretty much.
"Ahh! One eye is bigger than the other! But you can make it work ..."
Gee, thanks!
Gee, thanks!
Student: Where are your glasses?
Me: I had Lasik.
Student: Why?
Sad to say, I had no smart comeback for that question.
Friend [in English, to me] : you are much more attractive without your glasses. [in Chinese, to someone else] Maybe now she'll find a boyfriend.
I just can't get away from it, can I?
No comments:
Post a Comment