I’m American. And so
is every other Canadian.
Oh, and Mexican, Chilean, Bolivian, Peruvian, Argentinian,
Brazilian … and the list goes on.
Basically, any and all individual who calls a country in
either of the Americas (or any of the 3 Americas, if you count Central America
as a separate entity) is … American.
So I guess it seems to
me that it’s unfair that US citizens
get a monopoly on that term, and they get to refer to their country as
“America.” Can't I say I'm American, too? Unfortunately not, seeing
that, in today's world, referring to myself as "American" means I'm from
the US. And that's not true.
I can’t count the number of times I’ve corrected
someone. “No, I’m not American. I’m
Canadian.” Because yes, there IS a
difference.
My sister was recently cruising in Alaska, and on one of
their landlubbing adventures, they took a trek into the Yukon (that’s one of 3
Canadian territories up in the north, where you’re most likely to find igloos. But
only in the winter, not year-round; they have beautiful, warm summers there, too!). The
tour guide kept telling them that there would be an obvious difference once
they crossed into Canada.
“Can you see it? Feel it?” asked the guide.
When no one answered, he said, “Free health care!”
But that’s not all. We’ve got a different – and bilingual –
history. Okay, some could argue that the
States have a bilingual history, too.
Still, it’s not the same. We have
a different system of government. We have a smaller population and more land.
We have different-coloured money. We have a “u” that we like to stick in random
words. We can lay claim to some of the greatest hockey players that ever lived,
the invention of the telephone, the first female astronaut, and many other
things.
And most importantly, Canada is the original home of the Tim
Horton’s franchise.
Go to any of our major cities, and you will see a beautiful
mosaic of different cultures, an eclectic mix of architecture that is often
influenced by the different cultures, and beautiful, natural scenery, all in
one place.
A. May. Zing. Love
it.
Please do not misunderstand me; the US is a beautiful
country with a lot to offer as well. I’ve seen some amazing sights south of the
border, I’ve been known to enjoy American movies and television programming,
many great minds and people have come out of that country (Steve Jobs, Stephen
Hawking, Sheldon Cooper and the list goes on …), and the Americans I have been privileged to
know are proud and fiercely loyal to their country. Not to mention, they’re pretty cool people.
I’m not trying to say that Canadians are better. We’re just … different. And I like it.
Canada is … was … (is?) home. Just like my particular city in China is now
home. Sort of. And I have a hard time believing that any
other city in this country that I may one day traipse through – temporarily or otherwise – will ever feel quite like this
one. But then again, I think I wondered that when I first got here.
What’s interesting, though, is that people automatically
assume that I’m American. And when I tell people I’m not American, they often
wonder where I’m from. I speak English flawlessly (in my humble opinion, anyway
…), but I’m white and I don’t speak with an Aussie, Kiwi or any of the United
Kingdom accents, so there is often uncertainty about my origins.
As if Canada is an unknown place.
Here's another one that doesn't quite sit right with me ... In Chinese, America is Meiguo. Direct translation: beautiful country.
And Canada is stuck with Jianada.
And I haven't been able to find a direct translation into English for
it online; it's as if no one's ever bothered to give a direct
translation for it. Or else it doesn't matter?
That’s strange to me.
America is no better than Canada. And, for the record, Canada is no
better than America. Yet, somehow America has managed to take words
that refer to the continent and applied them to themselves. And get possibly the best name for a country ever in Chinese.
Not fair.
Still. I wear my flag proudly on my luggage, as I sport my tuque,
eat a Poutine and watch a lacrosse game.
Actually, I’ve never seen a lacrosse game. But I do own
several tuques, and I stuff myself full of Poutine whenever I can...
Here's one company's perspective on what it means to be Canadian ....
God bless the Canadians! They gave us Neil Young, Cowboy Junkies, and Gordon Lightfoot!
ReplyDeleteI hear the humor in your writing---although I must defend the Americans. You could hardly call them "United Statesians". Historically, the term was probably coined by Spaniards, so you could blame the Europeans for clumping a body of land into one label. I wouldn't say that you are American, but I think it's totally ok to say that you're North American, since Canada and US share a continent. Identity crisis in China is normal. EVERY SINGLE DAY people ask me where I'm from. I'm not joking, every single Chinese person I have a conversation with wants to know where I'm from. They don't believe, "I am American". They want to know how an Asian looking person could be American. So then I have to explain my ethnic heritage and where my parents live and that I'm a 'half-blood'. To look Asian, be an American, live in China, and also be bi-racial is pretty confusing to chinese people....which in turn confuses me.
ReplyDeleteSo. I feel your Canadian/American pain.
To add to that, people always assume that Adam is Russian.
It's good to remember that really, we don't belong to any city, place, or country. As believers, are citizenship is in heaven. One lesson I've brought away from my culturally-mixed-up-identity-crisis-issues-in-China.
Great post!
Peter, I LOVE Gordon Lightfoot. Such a soothing voice! There's this great story of how my father fell asleep at one of his concerts and the friend who took him was really mad. My father's excuse? "The lights went out and there was a man sitting on a stool playing a guitar!" Haven't heard Cowboy Junkies, and not a huge fan of Neil Young. I'll take your blessing anyway, though!!
ReplyDeleteJulie, thanks for sharing. And yes, I'm starting to sense the whole thing about not really belonging. I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to Canada anytime soon, and that's my home country! After being here, I'm just not sure it fits anymore...
From M'Lynn high-jacking Jeremy's blog id: Melanie, I love learning about Canadian culture and all things Canada. We had Canadian teammates for a year while living in Harbin and loved hearing about Tim Hortons, Canadian football, Canadian medical care, and how Canada is related to Great Britain (still kind of confused about that one, so feel free to sum it up in a blog post for me). I once had a cat named Canada (but he was actually named after a singer, not your country, sorry) Keep up the Canadian posts! The funny thing to me is that I am tired of having to say I'm American because I'd rather refer to myself as Texan. :-) And, like Adam, in China most people think I'm Russian. Or German (which is cool because I am part German ethnically).
ReplyDelete