Thursday, April 3, 2014

Suddenly a door slams shut ...

BANG!

What was that?

Look behind you.

*whirls around* who said that?

I did.

Who are you?

I'm God.
Oh ... so what was that noise? It kind of sounded like a door slamming shut.

That's exactly what it was.

Which door? [realization hits] Oh. That door. [pause] NO! Why?!
Because you can't go that way. I've been trying to tell you that for a while now, but you just wouldn't listen. So, for your own good, I've shut it for you. It's staying that way.

But what about the doorstop I put in place?

It's gone.

And the ... bungee cords that tied the door to the wall?

I broke them.

Hmmm... maybe I could ...

Nope. Sorry, it's locked from the other side.

How'd you - ?

Read your mind? I'm omniscient.

Oh, right. So then maybe I can still look under the ...
Nope. I made sure that the door sits flush with the floor. And don't think you can look through the keyhole, either, because there isn't one. That door is not for you. It never was for you.

*stomps foot on the floor* Why not?

I think you know why. If I let you go through that door, I just might lose you.

What do you mean? I'll never, ever lose sight of You, Lord.

Do you remember Peter's denial, the night I was crucified?

Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?

Got a Bible handy?

Um ... biblegateway.com. Does that count?

Good enough. Look up Matthew 26:33.
Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."

And then what did he do?

He ... denied you three times ... but that's not me! I’m better than that!

You sure about that? Remember: he was the “rock” on which I built my church, and yet …

He still denied You. But I’ve learned from Him, I have!
Well, let's look at the facts. How much effort have you put into keeping that door open lately?

Not that much ...
Are you sure? I found a doorstop, bungee cords - plural - and I caught you trying to pour hot glue into the lock mechanism. You've spent countless hours inching the door open and peeking. You’ve been wanting to go through there, and trying to convince me that it was a good idea.

*sheepish* You saw all that?

I'm omni –
Present, right.

[pause]
Here's what I want you to consider. How much time have you spent talking with Me about this whole thing?

Not .. not a lot, now that I think about it. But ... I've been asking You to take away my desire to go through that door, and you haven't been helping!

I haven’t?
No! Every time I pray about it, I ask you to take it off my mind, but when I’m done praying, I’m thinking about it even more! And then I want it even more!

But I have been helping you. You just haven't been listening.

I don’t see how you’ve helped me. What have you done?

Well, I gave you a couple glimpses into what it might be like on the other side of that particular door, and you did agree that it wasn't right or good for you.

Yes... that's true ... but you haven't given me anything better, any other plan. So what am I supposed to do?

You're not ready to hear the answer to that right now. When the time is right, I’ll show you - without your help, I should probably add. And if it doesn't work out the way you thought or hoped it would ... well, there's a reason for that, too: I've got something better in mind for you. Take a quick peek at Jeremiah 29:11:

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

But it's so hard!
I never said it was easy, child. But I'm with you through this. Rest in me.

I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment