My brother once said it takes 10 000 hours for a person to become an expert in something.
I did a rough calculation, and it would take about 6.25 years to become an expert teacher. I suppose that's provided said teacher works at the same job, teaching the same courses the whole time. Take it from me: teaching French is very different from teaching English. And teaching a class of 3 is not the same as corralling teaching a class of 30.
Recently, a friend told me that, had she actually stuck with her first teaching job instead of moving on and trying out other things, she might actually be in a better place; top of the pay grade, a great teacher, and ... happy.
That made me think about my situation.
In the past 7 years - the full extent of my teaching career thus far - I have held at least 8 different teaching positions of varying lengths and subjects. Just looking at that number makes my head spin. 8 times, I've started all over; new school, new co-workers, new students, new curriculum, new format, new resources, new everything. 8 times I've said good-bye. Sometimes with relief, and other times with some sadness.
And that's not counting the many schools I went to as a substitute teacher. I easily run out of fingers when I try to add those up. And toes for that matter ...
My father held the same job for 34 years. And I know he's not the only one in his generation to have done that. Just like I know I'm not the only one bouncing around from job to job.
What's different?
My dad worked to support his family. I try to find work that will make me happy, fit my gifts, give me a sense of fulfillment.
But who's right?
A few weeks ago, I had a Skype-type conversation with a friend back home who suggested that I should apply for an English teaching position at a different international school. I said I didn't want to. His response? "It's Adam's curse." Work, he was implying, isn't supposed to be fun.
My oh-so-mature response was to write, "Picture me with my fingers in my ears, saying 'la la la la' in a desperate attempt to drown you out."
But does he have a point?
Probably about 4 months after I got here, I got a local friend of mine to take me to get some new, fun glasses. I eventually walked out of there with 2 new pairs, and a new set of lenses for a third pair and I paid just about 50 bucks. But the choice I had! Oh, my goodness; there were about three floors just full of venders selling frames. Talk about sensory overload and ADD. It took a little while to narrow down choices.
I wonder if that's part of the problem with my generation. Do we have too much choice, job-wise? Are we too busy wanting to have our cake and eat it, too, as the expression goes?
A few of the job applications I've filled out lately have asked if I would consider making a career of going overseas. My (safe) answer is always, "If God leads that way ..."
Which is funny to me, simply because though God doesn't change, it would seem His way of doing things has, at least in this respect.
Or is it that we as a society have changed so much that we are forcing Him into a box, so to speak, and putting limits on how He can work in and through us?
Lots to think about. But that being said, here is one truth I do know, and it's what brings me comfort:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28, emphasis added).
"In all things" doesn't mean "If Melanie screws up ... that's it. It's over for her". "In all things" means just that: in the times I'm able to follow His lead as well as the times where I lose my way a little bit.
He will always work for our good.
No comments:
Post a Comment