Thursday, July 12, 2012

upside down and inside out

Things seem really backwards right now. Not wrong.  Just ... atypical.
  • From the moment I stepped off the plane in Vancouver until today, I did not see one Chinese person.
  • All three of my runs this past week took place under expansive, clear skies in the middle of, or near, farmers' fields.
  • There is nothing tangible that I can touch here that is my father.  All I have are memories and pictures.  It's like he just ... vanished. Or was a figment of my imagination.
  • I've spent the last week fully functioning in French, to the point where I'm literally having conversations with myself in my head in French.  And if there's any question, I was told once upon a time that talking to myself was the sign of a healthy mind.  So if you don't do it  ... a check-up from the neck-up might be in order ...
  • When trying to set up a skype date with someone in China, I had a really hard time figuring out what time it was here relative to them.
  • I (strongly) resisted the urge to honk when someone took too long at a stop sign.  Oh, and I have been driving. A lot.
  • I've been gorging myself on cheese.  There's nothing quite like French Canadian cheese curds, let me tell you!
  • I've been drinking out of a tap constantly.
  • I have been using public washrooms to excess without having to work on my balancing-while-crouching skills OR having to drag around my own toilet paper and hand cleaner.
  • I've forgotten to account for taxes AND tips when at restaurants. 
The funny part is that, once I get used to life here ... I will be boarding a plane to go back there.  And there will become here. And vice-versa.

And life goes on.






3 comments:

  1. I love this post! So funny... Yet I'm sure it's confusing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I can relate to so many of these things.
    When do you go back to China?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I head back August 6th in the evening, and land two days later. I hate that. But ... what can you do?
      We should skype sometime.

      Delete