Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Changing Perspectives

Over the past three months, I've been taking a course called Perspectives on the World Christian Movement.  My head is so full of ideas, excitement, questions, impatience .... and a worry that I'll forget the things I learned and not let them affect me deep down inside.

See, I'm not so good with follow-through.  It's like James said, it's as if I were looking in the mirror, saw me, and two seconds later forgot what I looked like.  Only it's me looking at Scripture, or coming face to face with a revelation from God, and I vow to do something different ...

Only to forget what I said and revert back to old patterns.

Thank God for His grace and patience; He has yet to give up on me.  Instead, He (gently) hammers home the same ideas, over and over and over again, patiently waiting for the day when I finally "get it" after so many tries.  Yes, I still have defeats sometimes, but I've also had victories.

Victories over sin.  Victories over negative views of myself. Victories over bad habits.  And as I write this, I realize just how easily I forget those victories and fall into despair when I fail in another area. Again and again.  But God is good. And He has done much in my life.  And I need to praise Him for that, and grasp those memories in those times when I'm in the middle of what seems like the same fight I had yesterday, and the days before that.

And I also need to remember that, even when I do mess up, it doesn't change my status with God.

How cool is that?

So I have a feeling that this blog, over the next little while, will serve as a way to share ideas I learned in Perspectives, how my thinking has changed and is being changed.  The goal will be a way for me to isolate the various thoughts that are swimming through my head, unpack them, and figure out what it could mean in my life going forward.

And hey, I might teach you a thing or two.

Who can say "No" to free learning?

Tune in next time for a blog post entitled "White-Hot Christians".

No comments:

Post a Comment