I became an aunt this week. Carter Marcel Donald Sharpe was born early Monday morning. (Isn't that an awesome name???) Because my sister went into the hospital at 3 AM, I had NO idea this was coming. So I did a quick double take when I got a text around 9 saying Carter had arrived. Mom was so clueless that when she called my sister, not knowing Carter had arrived, she heard her son-in-law saying that my sister was "brushing her teeth" when he really said she was "breastfeeding."
After I found out, I proceeded to jump around the office in excitement. My co-workers laughed and humoured me.
And somehow I was still productive that day. Although my boss did have to show me how to do something twice, because the first time I was admittedly distracted.
In many ways, this is new territory for us. More than the obvious, that is. We - my siblings and I - lived far from our extended family, so we didn't grow up interacting with our aunts and uncles on a regular basis.
Which means I don't really have a point of reference for what a relationship between an aunt and her nephew looks like.
But I DO know this: I want to be a part of his life. I want to be a fun aunt, a cool aunt, one who can spoil him a little. And at times sit back and watch him grow, learn and develop into a man.
But not too quickly.
I'm very excited for you! If you need to know how to be a good aunt, Aunt Bernice has got the role figured out really well... she could probably give you pointers.
ReplyDeleteRebecca